Hello Dementia Canterbury Community
Here is a link to a short exercise video prepared by Dementia Canterbury staff member Diane, who is a registered exercise professional, designed to keep the mind and body moving. https://vimeo.com/402755004/27cb88f1a1
And we have attached a useful poster with ideas for staying active and engaged..
A message from Dementia Canterbury;s manager, Darral Campbell:
NEW ZEALAND IS NOW IN A NATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY
JUST A REMINDER: All Dementia Canterbury groups, cafes, seminars and education services, and all home and office visits, are suspended until further notice. We remain open for phone contact and will be contacting all clients.
For dementia related emergencies please phone Older Persons Mental Health on 03 337 7765, and press option 3. For any other health issues phone the Government Helpline 0800 779 997 or dedicated Heathline 0800 358 5453.
Stay Well – Warmest Wishes from the Dementia Canterbury Team
LATEST FROM THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH
With Coronavirus / COVID-19 starting to spread through our communities, New Zealand will move to Alert Level 4 tonight, March 25, from 11.59pm. We need to act quickly to stop this spread. The Ministry of Health is doing everything we can to make sure that we keep your health and disability supports in place. More information is available at https://covid19.govt.nz/
How to get ready for Alert Level 4
Today, 25 March at 11.59pm, all New Zealanders have to follow the rules for the Government’s Alert Level 4.
Alert Level 4 is put in place to stop the virus spreading by keeping most people at home for the next four weeks.
The virus will not be able to keep spreading if it can’t pass from one person to another. The Prime Minister has said that the Alert Level 4 will be in place for 4 weeks but may last longer if COVID-19 is not under control at the end of that period.
When we are at Level 4:
- Everyone has to stay at home except essential workers which may include health and disability support workers.
- If you are in the high-risk group (over 70 years old, have certain health conditions listed on the Ministry of Health website), stay at home and ask others to help you.
- Anyone going out in the community, including your support person, will need to keep physical distance from other people and follow good hygiene rules.
- Supermarkets, health services, service stations and banks will be available but will change the way they provide their services.
- There will be no child care centres, schools or universities open.
- Shops will not be allowed to open unless they are needed.
- Cafes, restaurants, and bars will all close.
- Travel is only allowed in emergency situations.
- Non-urgent health services may be cancelled so that healthcare workers can help where they are needed.
This is a situation that no one in New Zealand has ever been in before. We know that you may be worried about how you will manage, but support is being put in place for those who most need it.
Remember, although you may not be able to have visitors at home, it is important to stay in touch with the people close to you. You can do this via phone or social media. The Ministry of Health will be providing regular updates specifically for those at risk.
Still Me Campaign
This September is Alzheimers (Dementia) Awareness Month and Dementia NZ has launched it’s Still Me campaign to help change the way we think, feel and talk about dementia. It is a reminder that we need to see the person not the condition and to recognise the brave person who is supporting them.
How can I get involved?
- Host a get-together. Find out more at: https://www.stillmegettogether.com/.
- Show your support and donate to support anyone affected by dementia: https://givealittle.co.nz/…/magnolia-month-supporting-demen…
- Donate at your local Westpac Bank (look for these donation boxes)
Charity Golf Day
Sponsored by Lexus of Christchurch
Pegasus Golf and Sports Club
Friday 6 March 2020
- Ambrose Format
- Registration from 12 noon
- Pre-tournament lunch
- Shotgun start 1pm
- Golf carts for all players
- Refreshments on course
- Pre-dinner drink and nibbles, dinner, prize-giving and auction
- $895 team of four